So this spring my neighbour J! and I went halvsies on a load of birch. It was freshly cut eight foot lengths, so I wanted to get cracking on cutting it down to stove length and getting it split and out in the open quickly so that it would hopefully be dry by the burning season.
Some of the pieces were delightfully sized. Quick to cut with my small electric power saw (fourteen inches). And then one pass through my log splitter with the four way wedge split them nicely into four quarter pieces.
But then there was this monster – it took me loads of “beaverin'” to just cut through it with the power saw, and then a bit of grunt work to get it up onto the log splitter.
The first try with the splitter ended with it just giving up after denting the end of the log slightly. I started rotating the log and trying another pass with the splitter until finally – pop! And it was through.
I’m not sure of the logonomics whether these huge logs that produce many split pieces go any faster than many smaller, easier to handle logs that produce fewer pieces, but I know the smaller ones make me feel like I’m really moving!
I ended up selling half of my half pile to another friend B! who also wanted some wood for this coming season and also realized that there are tremendous efficiencies in having it all ready to simply buck up and split. I’m thinking next spring maybe we’ll repeat the process, and then surely I’ll have multiple seasons of heating dealt with.