Whelp, as is usual at this time of year here on the homestead, we’re doing all sorts of things to try to keep the cabin as warm as possible.
One thing that I can’t help but think makes a huge difference is sealing up clearly felt draughts. At first I was considering continuing to use the DAP caulking that I have been buying by the case here at the homestead. But after having Ranta Construction come out to relevel and check my door installations, and seeing B! use expanding foam (Window and Door edition – promised not to warp my frames), I decided that perhaps it would be a better choice. This was also reinforced by my observation that the regular caulk I had applied a few years ago has already gotten hard and pulled away from the gaps it was intended to seal.
I have now used several different versions of expanding foam over the course of the past half decade here on the homestead, and have a few things to observe…
Even if you have to do lots of work with it around your place, it seems to me to be a better option to go with single use cans. I purchased a gun, but found it unwieldy and hard to clean and ultimately gave it up.
Almost all the cans have to be installed while inverted. This is okay 80% of the time when you are installing it in a situation where you still can have the… pardon the pun… can above your working area. As soon as you are at a ceiling or close to one, you’re out of luck though.
DAP brand expanding LATEX foam allows you to work with the can upright. I get the vibe that the other foams are generally better, but an upright can counts for much in my book. In my next blog post, I believe I’ll outline an application where I use both types on the same job to complete the installation.
Back to the matter at hand – all the doors and windows that make up the regular orifices of the cabin.
I basically went around to all the spots that haven’t had their trim work finished, and added a wide bead of expanding foam. I was able to use a standard (upside down) can here as none of them were close to a ceiling.
Then I also used acrylic sheets I had purchased from Surecraft Plastics to create my usual inner “storm” windows. I will also be purchasing five more panels to nearly complete my collection.
|Upside down, working at the kitchen window|
|And out the main cabin window. Lots of goo here!|
|Ugh, moisture and mildew behind the chesterfield. Time to hit it up with bleach and try to get some air circulating.|
|Another view in the kitchen.|
|Papa framed these windows already, so Kenny held the ladder while I vacuumed flies and then inserted the acrylic sheets.|
|In the bedroom, one can see the acrylic bowing out. I stiffened it with aluminum channel.|
|Another view of Daddy and Kenny cooperating!|