Today after doing the dishes and starting the laundry (and making the bed and cleaning the spare room), I didn’t feel I had time to do a “project” around the homestead before Kenny and I left to do some paid work.
Instead, I felt that it shouldn’t take hours to remove the ashes that were awaiting me in the bottom of the stove.
I found the tub that I had washed my hands in while cleaning the stovepipe, and brought that inside. With the help of the cleaning “hoe” supplied with the Baker’s Choice, I opened the front port under the oven door, and began dragging the ashes through it and into the tub.
I filled the tub quickly, with not too much ash flying up into the cabin, that was nice, as I didn’t have an assistant holding the vacuum for me.
|First tub full.|
With the first tub full, I took it outside and dumped it onto a bare spot of ground a bit away from the cabin. I returned, and half filled a second tub, which got the same treatment.
|And then the second one maybe half full.|
With most of the ash pulled out, I decided to stick the ash vacuum right into the access port and give everything a final going over.
|Spooky landscape under the oven!|
|And a better picture right to the back of the stove. Looks clean enough for me.|
It was quick work to replace the cover, put away the vacuum, and now I’m ready for the burning season. Probably very soon we’ll be putting on our fires again – this morning when I got up it was down to about 18.6 in the cabin – it’s warmed up about a degree since then, but I don’t think we’re going to get any more warm enough days to offset the nights that are dropping below 10.
Hopefully I can get to some of my other small chores before the snow flies!
|Bonus picture of a 24′ log I brought in for future projects. I’ll have to cut it down to 18′ just to get it on the sawmill!|
|And I guess we still have iron in the water it seems.|