After we have been using the paper water filter for about six weeks, I can’t say that it is doing a very noticeable job at reducing the iron in the water. This isn’t exactly shocking, I would have been really surprised if it had.
|Okay, everything looks normal down here. Certainly easier to access!|
|Can’t believe I got it this far without spilling any water!|
|Hard to deny that there is iron in the water.|
And so, with some trepidation, I invested in a charcoal filter (which was interchangeable in the housing I had installed – certainly a bonus!) but at twice the price of paper.
|HDX, the Rolls Royce of house brand products :).|
|It’s a little sad that when Kenny saw me writing this, he pointed out that “Daddy, didn’t you say it’s ALWAYS lefty-loosey, righty-tight?” I even said it to myself out loud before getting it wrong.|
I only installed it a few days ago, but I think it has made a difference. When I fill the sink, it no longer has a distinctive orange/brown hue to it after only a few inches.
|Before picture for reference.|
|After photo looks pretty good!|
The real proof will likely show up in the Berkey filter after about a months use. I will see how much iron accumulates there.
In the meantime, one immediate side effect is that the pump takes twice as long to fill the water tank. This gives me food for thought. It must indicate that some effort is being expended to get the water through the filter and up to the tank. That should be a good thing if I am thinking that the filter is working much harder at removing smaller particles.
Of course, I fear that it isn’t enough, or that it will actually become clogged over time and force us to change out the filter on a very rapid scale, which would be untenable at the current costs of the filters. If they can’t last over a month or two, the economic calculation may be too much.
I’ll continue to monitor, and try to check back.