Whelp, my cool bathroom sink idea didn’t really pan out as I had planned.
In spite of four coats of varnish on the wooden top, mildew soon appeared around the rim of the sink and tap, and slowly began to creep outwards.
I put up with it for as long as I could, but finally had to admit to myself that a wooden counter in a bathroom situation wasn’t going to cut it, at least in that particular configuration.
|Not as easy a removal as I hoped – I ended up rotating the entire counter around the pipe to unscrew the tap!|
|Yep, looks like a clear case of mildew.|
Luckily Donna and I had managed to discover a tiny porcelain sink and vanity in the interim, one which would fit our space very nicely.
I ordered it up and a week or so after arrival, I found the time to begin the installation. Of course, after I had already emptied our main water tank and cut off the drain to replumb it, I discovered that I had purchased a 2x2x 1 1/2″ sanitary T, rather than 1 1/2″ all around… I texted Donna and asked her if she could pick one up, and I decided to skip my Judo class that evening.
|Ahhh, another Surecraft Plastics splash guard! Good thinking!|
|I’ll just cut this right here. May as well, not ready for plumbing yet!|
Donna arrived home to a simple meal of various leftovers, while I set to work installing everything. Fortunately this phase of things went reasonably smoothly.
|Now, gluing on my nemesis – the sanitary T!|
|And assembling the AAV.|
|Wrapping a hot towel around the poly pipe makes it much easier to remove and install fittings!|
With it all hooked up, less the tap (which I had decided should be the same as the kitchen – and is still on order), we pumped just enough water to fill the water line. No leaks!
I then sent a bit of water down the drain. It was noisy, but again, no leaks!
|Kenny is confirming the no leaks policy I’m trying to implement.|
One change I made while redoing the drain in the bathroom – I added a P trap. The consequence of this (to my mind) would be that I would need to vent that drain. Thus I installed an air admittance valve, AAV, or cheater valve… I also plan on adding one in the kitchen, as we are getting a fair bit of gurgling and suction in the kitchen drain when the washing machine is pumping out its water.
|Looks good from this angle.|
I set up a small shelf for toiletries, and managed to wrangle things so that the sawdust bucket should be able to fit under the sink and behind a door – nice to get some stuff out of sight!
|And stocked with toiletries already!|
Now we wait for the new tap and see how well it performs as a bathroom fixture too.