A Push To Finish Installing The Floor

Now that the main living area of the cabin had been completely disrupted to allow me to begin installing the floor, I wanted to get it finished in good time.  This doesn’t include the “finishing” – sanding and sealing, but rather, just the installation to allow us to walk around on an even, firmer surface.

Grandpa and I had on previous days managed to work our way out from the south wall.  By the end of the second day, I had managed to get under the kitchen counter and out the far side.

I framed a border around the stove, which went a bit better than I had initially expected.  By using my circular saw to cut the bottom strip off of the groove side of the tongue and groove flooring, the boards fit perfectly over the durock surface under the stove.

Donna and I decided to cut a “bevel” into the durock at each front corner to make it not extend so far out into the wood flooring.  Especially on the side where people were coming in from the front door into the living area, it “opened up” the path of movement.

Once we got to the stairs, it took a bit of work to get them disconnected safely and yet still secured until I could run the flooring under them and out the other side.

Gosh, these stairs make my butt look big.

This was also the right time to add in the new and improved railing posts on the landing.  The topmost tread of the stairs had always been a few inches shallower than the rest, so the way I opted to correct this was to have the stairs moved out from the landing a bit.  I saw the post as able to do double duty in that I could rest the stairs on it too and acheive nearly the perfect spacing.

Of course, this meant cutting off a bit of the side of the stairs at the bottom so they wouldn’t overhang the trap door in the floor there that lets me access the crawlspace from another place.

As a safety measure, I screwed down a two by three so the stairs could only slide so far out from their original position.

Yes Virginia, that extension cord was my idea for a quick and dirty “safety line”, just in case the stairs came away at the landing and were destined to fall.  Of course, my main concern was the new tv under them, so I opted to remove it from the wall bracket altogether.

Between Grandpa using the mitre saw, the compressor coming on every few minutes, and the extremely loud compressive “bangs” of the floor stapler, Kenny opted for ear mufflers that could still allow him to hear his iPad games.

After Grandpa left to feed his fires, I decided to make this a one-day job rather than continuing the next day (or the next…)  So I pushed on.  First up was to raise the centre support column for the loft so that it was level with the flooring.

At the very end, I had to coax the final strip onto the tongue with the always-handy slot screwdriver.  Never used it much for driving screws, but as a thin handled lever, it was superb!

Then it was time for spaghetti supper – We were trying out our new slow cooker for the very first time, so Donna opted to cook the meatballs and sauce in that.  I had noticed that on sunny days, our batteries reached full voltage on or around lunch, and then excess current was just being dumped as they absorbed or floated until sunset.  With a little research and thought, and a burning desire to actually get some use out of that excess energy, I felt it was worth exploring if we could run a small load on top of the charge controller.  I was right!  (Doesn’t happen very often, give me my moment please…)

I think this will be a VERY handy and useful discovery and option during the hot days of summer when we don’t want to heat up the whole cabin just to cook a meal.  We will surely have a glut of energy, and this will let us use it, while not having to make ourselves uncomfortable.

The spaghetti was excellent BTW.  Kenny ate his whole serving and I had two, plus ate it for brunch the next morning.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.