It has been a bit of a constant concern how to avoid tracking the bush into the yurts, especially when it is raining outside, and we would anticipate when it’s snowy too.
We talked a few times about building a vestibule or mud room outside the front entrance, but I have run my lumber yard dry at the moment, and didn’t relish the thought of interrupting my other projects to take on this one.
But then divine intervention came along in the form of a wind gust. When I was struggling to get the stove pipe up, there was a looming threat of a strong thunderstorm. Grandpa even came over to warn us, just as I was mounting the storm flashing and weather sealing the double wall chimney to the flashing. A few moments after he left, the sky turned very dark, and a huge and sudden gust of wind blew through our area. The dining tent that my parents had donated in the spring was instantly lifted up, and transported with a crash into the bush.
At the time I retrieved our table, chairs and stove that had accompanied it, and simply set them up where the tent had once been. Bug season had ended, so we were more than comfortable to sit out in the great outdoors and enjoy the scenery. The tent I left in its forlorn state, while I puzzled out how to repair it, with the main supports either broken completely apart, or the poles bent beyond repair.
Yesterday as I puttered around the property doing odd jobs and cleaning up the accumulated clutter, I started to look at the notion of mounting our solar shower on the deck outside the yurts. This progressed to me looking at mounting the remaining panels of the gazebo I had retrieved from the dump on the deck, and creating a mud room with those and a tarp. This further progressed to me thinking perhaps the dining tent could be pressed into better service in this regard.
I drilled a 7/8″ hole in each corner of the deck, straight down, about 5″. The tent poles from the dining tent dropped into these holes and were well supported. I mixed and matched poles until I had reduced from the original six corners, to my four, with some poles longer than others. I criss-crossed these on top and connected them all together with my largest pipe clamp. Then I opened up one end of the tent, and was able to get it to (with seams popping) fit around the doorway to the yurts. I fastened it to the doorway with two C clamps at the top, and then pulled out the sides with some twine attached high up into two nearby trees. Finally I fastened another length of pipe as a door header at the far end to hold the entrance to the deck up and out, making it easier to get through.
It isn’t the prettiest of sights, but we still anticipate that it only has to last us until we can move into the main cabin next year.