Sorry to be taking six parts to get this floor finished. At the pace I’m setting, there are still a few more parts to go before I can complete this! Yesterday I expected to be a big day – we had the vapour barrier and second edging installed, and I figured that it wouldn’t take nearly as long or be nearly as challenging to install the upper floor as it had been to install the plywood under the joists – under the joists, we had to contend with one yurt being divided into two sections, and the other divided into four – up on top, we could just start at an edge, and work our way across, without regard for any division other than between the two yurts.
I was wrong.
As regular readers may recall, we chose tongue and groove OSB for our flooring material.
I am guessing that the fact that it was tongue and groove was our first strike against us – it meant that all the pieces had to be oriented in the same direction. We couldn’t spin a piece and then reset it, as it would prevent a tongue or groove from aligning with its complimentary partner. Strike two was that we were also trying to keep the same side up, as the OSB clearly had two different sides. This meant that we couldn’t just mirror image a scrap piece if required. Finally, strike three was likely just that we were really working hard to avoid having multiple small pieces in a patchwork anywhere on the surface, something that wasn’t as critical on the bottom of the joists where it wouldn’t see the light of day.
So we worked our way carefully across the large floor surface first, things going rather well. The OSB, like most plywood type products, is very susceptible to chipping when drilled through, especially around the edges, so I tried to cut down on this issue by pre-drilling a very wide, shallow indentation wherever I intended to place a screw. This seemed to help quite a bit, but there were still a few spots where some shavings came up. We’ll just have to paint thick there :).
One thing we made sure of, was to arrange our boards so that the locations of perceived higher traffic (the doorways) would get full sheets, rather than partial sheets. We then worked out from them.
Donna and Kenny attended a playgroup in the morning, but it was really, really nice to have them come out after lunch to help. Kenny did a huge amount of landscaping with his bulldozer – it was working so hard, it threw a track more than once and required an extra hand to get it back up and running.
Donna set about making sure that the boards were clean and ready for primer. Shortly after starting, she noticed an obvious error in the installation that neither Grandpa nor I had realized. Can anyone see what it is and describe it in the comments? I’ll assume that no comments means that I’m just as smart as my average reader.
After we cut a vital sheet short AND backwards, Grandpa decided that was enough for him, and we didn’t see him again until he called us in for supper with Mummu.
Meanwhile, Donna helped me to mix and match our off-cuts to maximum efficiency. In spite of this, it became clear that we needed more OSB than we had.
Anyway, at least we had come in with one bag of insulation extra that we hadn’t needed. Same with Tuck Tape – the original directions called for one roll for the smaller yurt, and two for the larger. I assume that that was if Tyvek was used as a wrap for the bottom of the floor. We only used up perhaps half of one roll on both our yurts – it only took two lines to finish the smaller yurt, and maybe twice as many to finish the larger yurt, where we did have to seam more of the vapour barrier than I expected, but we did have enough.
After supper, Donna and Mummu were awesome enough to take over dishwashing duties, so I loaded up the truck and headed BACK to the big city. I guess those drives give me time to think or listen to my podcasts, otherwise, they aren’t so thrilling.
My exchange of insulation for another sheet of OSB went uneventfully, but I was surprised to see that some of the other stores in Thunder Bay had closed up at 6pm. Even some chain franchises that normally are open much later in the south. Oh well, live here and learn…
I posted our cheque to the local services board (essentially a roads tax) on the way home – it is due tomorrow, and we only finally received it yesterday after it was delivered to Kitchener. I guess I have a few more businesses and organizations to contact with our new address here.
As I finish typing this, the sun is just now rising, so I best be off to see what progress we can make today.